As nice as AJ Brown was in his Tennessee days, he was extra secret weapon than something. Rookie season? Brown completed because the fantasy WR9 regardless of rating forty sixth in receiver targets. The following 12 months, it was extra of the identical — WR9 end, thirtieth on the goal board. Brown’s rank collapsed to WR32 final 12 months, regardless of a bump up in workload.
But Tennessee by no means peppered him with fixed alternatives. For Brown’s time in Tennessee, he had simply 5 video games with double-digit targets.
So maybe it is wheels-up time in Philadelphia. The Eagles mentioned all summer season that they wished to function Brown early and sometimes, and that was the sport plan as Philly outraced Detroit on Sunday, 38-35.
Brown racked up a juicy 10-155-0 line on 13 targets, the clear focus of the passing recreation. Heck, the Eagles solely tried 32 passes, and nobody else noticed greater than 4 targets.
That’s a 38 p.c goal share for the brand new child in city.
Of course, the Eagles have a loaded offensive line and loads of working weapons, and people issues had been additionally in play Sunday. Jalen Hurts ran for 90 yards and a landing, tucking neatly beside his 243 passing yards. Miles Sanders additionally had 96 yards and a rating, shortly opening his account after going your entire 2021 season with no spike. Kenneth Gainwell (5-20-1) Boston Scott (4-10-1) additionally bought into the paint.
Philly’s landing distribution shall be a key aspect for fantasy managers to watch. Hurts, in any case, averaged simply over one landing go per recreation final 12 months. If Brown goes to be the alpha of this offense, it might maintain again Dallas Goedert (3-60-0, 4 targets) and Devonta Smith (no catches, 4 targets) once in a while.
Every wideout in the NFL has some growth and bust aspect to his recreation, however Smith might be on the high finish of that variability chart.
The opening third of the Eagles’ schedule is a daisy — Philly performs Minnesota, Washington, Jacksonville and Arizona over the subsequent 4 weeks. There is not a formidable protection in that blend. I do not know who’s going to get probably the most quarters, however the Philadelphia offense could be in pinball mode for some time.
Star receivers popping out sizzling
Brown wanted to work exhausting to get observed Sunday. Without a landing, he stands WR6 on the opening week leaderboard as we go to press. It’s been a smashing debut week for the name-brand receivers.
Cooper Kupp and Stefon Diggs each had their great things in the Thursday opener (and Kupp continues to dominate targets). Ja’Marr Chase was uncoverable in Cincinnati’s time beyond regulation loss to Pittsburgh (10-129-1, and he misplaced a second landing from a poor spot). Justin Jefferson torched the Packers for 163 yards and two touchdowns in a few half of soccer (he is at 184 yards and counting as of this writing). Michael Pittman (9-121-1) was continually open at Houston.
We might go on and on with the receiver love. Davante Adams simply topped 100 yards for Las Vegas, whereas Tyreek Hill (8-94-0) seemed the half in Miami.
Perhaps we’ll look again on 2022 because the Year of the Fantasy Wideout.
Jonathan Taylor marks his 1.01 territory
I’ve phrases for anybody who landed Jonathan Taylor this 12 months, particularly with a decide outdoors of 1.01.
I’m ravenously jealous of you.
The Colts did loads of issues incorrect in an embarrassing 20-20 tie at Houston, however you could not blame Pittman or Taylor, the signature gamers of the offense. Taylor lugged the ball 32 instances for 162 yards and a landing and added 4 brief catches. He’s on the prime of the RB leaderboard as we hit early night on Sunday, an eyelash forward of D’Andre Swift.
Just as a result of Taylor was the plain and possibly boring decide at 1.01 doesn’t suggest he wasn’t a wise alternative. This man was the general RB1 final 12 months, after all. He’s by no means missed a apply or a recreation since beginning soccer, relationship again to his youth days. He can play in all packages. The Colts have a plus offensive line.
On the opposite facet, higher days are in all probability forward for Carolina’s Christian McCaffrey, however the Panthers’ offense was messy in their loss to Cleveland. Blame most of it on Baker Mayfieldwho led the group to a modest 15 first downs. DJ Moore (40 whole yards) was one of many few name-brand receivers who wasn’t invited to the Week 1 social gathering. Maybe Robbie Anderson (5-102-1) goes to return to fantasy relevance.
McCaffrey completed with 10-33-1 dashing, and 4-24-0 receiving. A landing saved the fantasy day, however for probably the most half, the sledding was tough. The Giants and Saints come calling in the subsequent two weeks.
• I’ve been extra bearish on Trey Lance than a lot of the business, however we will not take lots from Sunday’s loss at Chicago. The climate was horrible and George Kittle did not play The largest takeaway from Chicago’s offense was Khalil Herbert trying higher than David Montgomery.
• If one man does not take over the Patriots backfield, New England could be the deadest zone in fantasy soccer. The Patriots have a horrible schedule developing, too: Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Green Bay.
• The Bengals for probably the most half seemed like a group that had simply met 5 minutes earlier than gametime, which was to be anticipated given the restricted time the complete offense labored collectively this summer season. Offensive traces take time to gel; Cincinnati’s blocking ought to be lots higher in the center of the 12 months. I’m not adjusting my expectations on this unit. The Steelers gained the time beyond regulation recreation by way of protection and grit, however the offense was principally a poor-octane unit. Although Pittsburgh at all times has a really proficient receiver room, I’m undecided you can begin any of these guys proactively for the approaching weeks.
• The Texans had a positive recreation script for a lot of the day and nonetheless Dameon Pierce was used lower than Rex Burkhead. That’s regarding.
• Trevor Lawrence seemed extra uncooked and indecisive than I hoped to see, however at the very least he bought the ball to Christian Kirk proactively. That ought to be bankable yearly. James Robinson’s beautiful comeback is a blow to Travis Etienne managers.
• Maybe that is the Curtis Samuel hybrid season we have been ready for. Carson Wentz has an uncanny knack of posting stats that look higher than his precise play on the sector.
• It took some time for Jameis Winston to get cooking, however he was glorious in the second half. And all three of his major receivers made spectacular performs. For one week at the very least, the Saints had been true to their phrases Alvin Kamara — he was marginalized in the passing recreation. I remorse not taking Taysom Hill extra critically as a sleeper tight end-eligible.
• Saquon Barkley seemed incredible, rookie-year incredible. Mrs Daniel Jones was surprisingly efficient regardless of little assist downfield. Props to Brian Daboll for enjoying to win on the finish; that is the type of gutsy transfer that helps a floundering franchise flip its tradition.
• It’s encouraging to see Treylon Burks (3-55-0, 5 targets) concerned from the soar in Tennessee. It may take a handful of weeks, however he is the kind of participant to focus on round Halloween, when the sunshine typically goes on for rookie receivers. The Titans offense desperately wants his measurement and his capacity to make downfield performs.
• Joshua Palmer did not do a lot regardless of Keenan Allen leaving early, however I nonetheless see Palmer as an fascinating upside stash, tied to Justin Herbert and the Chargers offense. If Allen cannot go Thursday, Palmer will probably apply and put together as a starter, and that is a very totally different query than what was introduced Sunday. Exercise some endurance right here.