The schedule in Week 2 virtually all the time appears much less thrilling going in than the outcomes we see on the sector, and this 12 months was no totally different as three top-10 groups all misplaced on the identical day and the presumed greatest workforce in the nation was taken to the wire on the highway as a 20-point favourite. But now that every one the mud has settled, the image on the high appears clearer than ever — and that image paints the Georgia Bulldogs as the most effective workforce in the nation.
Georgia took over the No. 1 spot from Alabama in the most recent version of the CBS Sports 131, a complete rating of each FBS workforce. Our voters, a gaggle compiled of school football consultants from CBS Sports and 247Sports, moved Georgia forward of Ohio State for No. 2 after the Bulldogs’ spectacular season-opening win towards Oregon. After the Crimson Tide escaped with a 20-19 win towards Texas on Saturday, Georgia’s journey to No. 1 was full because the Bulldogs are the unanimous No. 1 workforce coming into Week 3.
The response to Alabama’s near-upset by the hands of the Longhorns almost price them two spots in the rankings; a razor skinny margin separates the Crimson Tide from Ohio State at No. 3. Michigan and Oklahoma are the following groups up at No. 4 and no. 5, respectively, with USC making a transfer up 4 spots to No. 6 after its spectacular win at Stanford.
Kentucky made one of many greater strikes inside the high 25, leaping 13 spots to No. 10 after the highway win at Florida. Notable strikes down included large falls for Notre Dame (from No. 8 to No. 40) and Texas A&M (from No. 7 to No. 33), however in fact these upsets even have constructive outcomes in the rankings for Marshall (up 39 spots to No. 32) and Appalachian state (up 19 spots to No. 25). For extra on the most important week-to-week changes in the CBS Sports 131 this week, take a look at the Mover’s Report under the highest 25 desk.
College football consultants from CBS Sports and 247Sports contribute ballots every week, that are averaged collectively for our rankings. You can see the highest 25 under and 26-127 on our rankings web page.
- no 32 Marshall (+39): Charles Huff has led the Thundering Herd into this system’s Sun Belt period with a bang, declaring Marshall’s plans to be among the many greatest groups in the league with an upset win at Notre Dame.
- no 29 Washington State (+33): The Cougars went into Wisconsin’s home and beat the Badgers in their very own fashion of sport. Now 2-0 with an enormous highway win on the profile, Washington State turns into a captivating addition to the highest of the Pac-12.
- no 25 Appalachian State (+19): It’s a wierd profile to rank with a 63-61 house loss to North Carolina and a 17-14 upset win on the highway at Texas A&M. What’s for sure, nevertheless, is that this workforce doesn’t belong exterior of the highest 30 after showcasing its capability to compete towards Power Five competitors in each a high-scoring shootout and a low-scoring defensive battle.
- no 8 BYU (+13): Down its high two receivers, BYU quarterback Jaren Hall discovered a solution to make sufficient performs to guide the Cougars to a 26-20 win in double-overtime towards Baylor. Up subsequent is a good problem for BYU’s newly minted standing as one of many high groups in the nation, touring to Eugene for a highway check towards Oregon.
- no 10 Kentucky (+13): The Wildcats protection had all the solutions for Anthony Richardson and made its declare because the second-best workforce in the SEC East with a hard-fought highway win at Florida.
- no 37 Wisconsin (-23): Preseason rankings of Wisconsin have been based mostly on the assumption that this might be one other 12 months of consistency from the Badgers. But with a house loss to Washington State and no FBS wins to their title, it is robust to say “consistency” is sufficient to rank Wisconsin as a top-30 workforce in mid-September.
- no 33 Texas A&M (-26): Through two video games, there’s little or no to get enthusiastic about for Texas A&M, a workforce that is nonetheless loaded with expertise and fielding a protection that is going to permit the Aggies to stay aggressive even towards the hardest SEC foes. But till the offense begins to seek out its rhythm, it will be very troublesome to think about Texas A&M a severe menace to win its division.
- no 40 Notre Dame (-32): (*131*) 0-2 begin and a banged-up quarterback has left Notre Dame in a troublesome place staring down the rest of a schedule that features three groups presently ranked in the highest 10 of the CBS Sports 131 — USC, Clemson and BYU.
Check out the remainder of the CBS Sports 131: Teams ranked 26-131