I by no means performed the online game, so I solely had a normal notion of what ‘The Last of Us’ is about. I went into the premier of the present fairly doubtful about one more zombie presenthowever I gotta say, they positively hooked me.
- The most strikeout-y crew in baseball in the 30-team period, however the Cubs’ lead shall be threatened if they do not crank up the strikeouts this yr:
- If you have been questioning, the Cubs have been virtually precisely center of the pack in uncooked strikeout totals final yr, with 1383 strikeouts (tied with the Angels for sixteenth, one strikeout behind the Rays for fifteenth, and solely eight strikeouts behind the Mariners at quantity 12 ). That is greater than I used to be considering, even realizing that the Cubs have been sneaky good on the pitching aspect final yr. I did not anticipate loads of strikeouts, given the type of the workers.
- The Cubs did not add a ton of strikeouts this offseason, essentially, however you would think about the uncooked whole getting a bump with extra innings from guys like Justin Steele and Hayden Wesneski (and even Jameson Taillon is a bump over guys like Kyle Hendricks and Wade Miley), and possibly much more strikeouts coming from the bullpen.
- Speaking of strikeouts in the bullpen, one man the Cubs would possibly lose is Mark Leiter Jr., a reclamation arm who wound up a near-30% strikeout price man after the Cubs absolutely transformed him to aid. He was DFA’d final week to make room on the 40-man for Eric Hosmer, and I’m not so positive Leiter will clear waivers and/or settle for an outright task if he does clear waivers. It would suck to lose him from the org, however the proven fact that the Cubs are in a spot the place they’ll danger shedding somebody like him – as a result of they’ve so many younger arms out there *AND* as a result of they’ve been so good at unearthing guys like Leiter in the first place – says lots about the state of the group.
This is an efficient indication of the place the Cubs are proper now. Is Leiter an affect arm who may change the course of a season? no But does he have potential worth? Certainly. The backside of the Cubs’ roster is simply higher than it as soon as was. That does not imply they’re world-beaters now; they nonetheless want affect expertise to get to the high of the league. But depth issues as nicely. Rather than spending more money on function gamers, it is vital to establish and develop high quality under-the-radar additions like Leiter.
Leiter made 31 aid appearances, and in 16 of these video games, he received greater than three outs. In years previous, that sort of pitcher could be completely very important for this crew. But on this major-league roster, Keegan Thompson and Adbert Alzolay each seem like they might fill these roles. There are additionally quite a few Triple-A arms that would emerge as related weapons. That the Cubs really feel snug with doubtlessly shedding Leiter exhibits simply how deep their pitching has change into.
- While I used to be taking a look at the crew strikeout stats, I observed one thing humorous from final season: take a look at the groups whose ERA outperformed their FIP by the most: Dodgers, Astros, Mariners, Cubs, Guardians, Rays, Yankees. It’s a who’s who of “high pitching organizations,” and I immediately surprise if that is a coincidence, or if the finest organizations are good at maximizing outcomes relative to efficiency (in addition to get the good performances, themselves). I glanced at 2021 to see if the identical factor was true, and though the high orgs nonetheless present up in the high 12-ish, it is not fairly as stark. Ditto 2019. Kinda appears like there is perhaps one thing there. And here is hoping the Cubs keep up in that high group going ahead.
- This is the finest method to share that the Red Sox signed catcher Jorge Alfaro:
- Alfaro was on the border of getting a transparent huge league back-up job or a minor league deal, and he wound up getting about nearly as good of a minor league deal as you will get (in a company the place he has an excellent likelihood of creating the roster):
- That is to say, even when you would’ve most well-liked Alfaro as the Cubs’ third choice over Dom Nuñez, I doubt Alfaro would’ve most well-liked the Cubs’ scenario, the place he was not going to beat out a wholesome Yan Gomes or Tucker Barnhart , and the Cubs aren’t going to hold three catchers.
- Oh, I hope this makes for jokes aplenty:
- A contemporary Onto Waveland pod: