The NFL is again, child. Although baseball stays my favourite sport general, I certain do love watching soccer video games. It can be good if the Chicago Bears will not be horrible this yr, though my hopes and expectations are way more tempered than that. A win in the present day, for instance, can be a nice shock. A pleasant-looking sport from Justin Fields is what I most need to see.
- It was Cubs Hall of Fame induction day for Pat Hughes and Jose Cardenal yesterday, which meant pageantry and particular moments:
- If you did not see Alfonso Rivas’s little league homer yesterday, one of the few offensive highlights within the sport:
- It was a superb sport general for Rivas, who has his massive league line again as much as .245/.328/.333/89 wRC+ on the season. You know, not horrible, even when not near what you would want at first base. Rivas has a plus glove at first base, and you’ll find it irresistible if he might recover from the hump sufficient to be at the very least a league-average bat. While that would not make him starting-caliber general, it will positively make him a legit bench choice within the years forward. As it stands, due to his issues with contact on good breaking stuff, I feel he needs to be thought-about a bubble man for the 40-man roster selections forward. It’ll assist his case that he does have minor league choices remaining.
(Blaine) Kinsley spent the final 5 seasons with the University of Arkansas’ baseball program and has labored in skilled baseball, together with two seasons (2011-12) with the Cubs’ former Class A Peoria crew.
“We’ve had a excessive harm fee, and in order that’s positively half of his experience,” Ross mentioned. “And he is been round lots of successful. He’ll carry lots to the desk, not simply in that space. Having someone overseeing the division can also be useful for ensuring everyone seems to be on the identical web page.”
Kinsley, who takes over a division as soon as headed by Adam Beard, is anticipated to work this offseason with Madrigal within the Phoenix space, Ross mentioned.
- The point out of Madrigal there may be in reference not solely to his most up-to-date groin pressure, for which he was positioned on the IL yesterday, but additionally simply his general physique well being. The Cubs, like each group, are at all times attempting to get higher at keeping off these sorts of recurring or long-term or nagging accidents that may scale back availability or restrict efficiency. It’s been arduous to know what the Cubs even have in Madrigal this yr as a result of of the accidents.
- Miguel Amaya homered once more final evening for Tennessee, and is now hitting .284/.375/.495/127 wRC+ on the yr (which might be one of the best season of his profession). He goes to destroy the Arizona Fall League and make us all begin considering ideas about 2023:
- In all seriousness, the Cubs can’t do any offseason planning at catcher on some presumption that Amaya goes to be able to be a part-time contributor within the massive leagues in 2023. That’d be nuts, as he has barely caught on the Double-A stage, has missed a lot improvement time with the pandemic and then the Tommy John surgical procedure, and hasn’t even performed at Triple-A but.
- Instead, I feel one of the best case state of affairs (the place Amaya rakes within the AFL and appears to be like like he is again to his regular self as a catcher), is the place you intend to have Amaya at Triple-A subsequent yr for MOST of the season, however he comes up and down just a little bit as necessitated by accidents/roster necessities, which might assist assist the 2023 crew as depth, sure, however might additionally assist his improvement. Then, with Yan Gomes’ contract up after 2024 (and probably Willson Contreras again to free company if he had been to have accepted a Qualifying Offer and returned in 2023 (not unimaginable!)), perhaps you are capable of begin fascinated about Amaya as your 1A or 1B catcher. Lonnnnng technique to go on that. For in the present day, simply get pleasure from that he is wholesome, his swing appears to be like lovely, and he is acquired that energy coming.
- Next step within the minor league unionization course of, and man this factor is barreling forward extraordinarily shortly:
- The outcomes for 26-year-old Mets reliever Bryce Montes de Oca have been stable, if not absurd, this yr from Double-A as much as MLB. If that is what his sinker appears to be like like, although, I’m going to imagine his outcomes COULD be absurd if he might persistently find it, as a result of holy smokes: