It’s so good to be again. After three years away from CubsCon, it was good to be surrounded by excited Cubs followers who simply need to have enjoyable in relation to their favourite workforce. I loved the power of the opening ceremonies, I loved all the parents I noticed and talked to, and I loved the get-together after the conference. So many good folks.
Today is a bit more news-y, in principle, with the assorted panels all through the day. I’m on my approach to the Ricketts Family panel to kick off the day, and I can solely assume the Q&A portion will likely be fascinating.
Meanwhile, some Cubs Bullets earlier than I get into full conference mode…
- Oh, howdy, Michael and Trey:
- I’ve no additional inside dish on this one past what Michael stated, besides that I do know him properly sufficient to know he is not tweeting that out until it is legit. Doesn’t imply the Cubs will certainly land Mancini, however it makes me very blissful to listen to that they are nonetheless . They want that high quality depth, as we have mentioned, and Mancini is among the many finest choices nonetheless accessible.
- If you missed it final evening, the Cubs prevented arbitration with all 4 of their remaining arbitration-eligible gamers (Ian Happ ($10.85M), Nico Hoerner ($2.525M), Nick Madrigal ($1.225M), and Codi Heuer ($785K) ). The Happ deal did not come down till late within the evening, however it’s good to know the perimeters might work it out, and the Cubs will not need to cope with any arbitration hearings. There will likely be a couple of round baseball:
- At the Opening Ceremonies, the Cubs introduced that Mark Grace and Shawon Dunston will likely be inducted into the Cubs Hall of Fame this yr:
- Eric Hosmer instructed CHGO why he selected the Cubs over different choices in the marketplace (as a result of bear in mind, on the league minimal (Padres are paying the remaining), he was going to have choices). In addition to the standard Chicago/Wrigley Field stuff, which is true, he additionally sees upside:
“Just a younger energetic group that, from the opposite facet trying in, you see the expertise, you see the best way up with the blokes which are on the best way up,” Hosmer stated. “And then some of the signings they’ve made, from Dansby to Cody [Bellinger] and all these guys. It simply looks like a very good group, and it looks like a division that is vast open that these guys can have a very good likelihood, so I’m glad to be a component of it.”
- Dansby Swanson simply desires to win:
And Nico Hoerner has no difficulty transferring to second base to accommodate Swanson (Tribune):
“I like taking part in shortstop,” Hoerner stated. “It was at all times a dream of mine to play shortstop within the main leagues. Got to do it for a full season (final) yr and was proud of how I carried myself. I’ll at all times be assured in my capability to try this, however the wants of our workforce are very clear. And it isn’t a difficulty transferring ahead in any respect.
“The sport is emphasizing athleticism, as a lot as we have had for a very long time, and so attending to play second base with out three folks on that facet of the sphere, it will make for some tougher performs. There’s going to be quite a bit of worth at that place and I’m excited to see what it appears to be like like.”