Good stuff to get into right now from across the Cubs farm system…
- After somewhat over two months of rehabbing from a surgical process involving his again (I phrase it that manner as a result of it wound up not QUITE being “again surgical procedure”), Cubs outfield prospect Brennen Davis is again in minor league recreation motion. Davis was the DH final evening for the Arizona Cubs, strolling as soon as and placing out 3 times (two swinging, one trying). This is his re-Spring Training, so I would not get too caught up within the strikeouts till he is had a couple of video games to get again to recreation velocity. For now, it is simply so good that he is again in video games with a month and a half left within the season. I’d tentatively hope to see him again at Iowa by the start of September.
- The Athletic duo of Sahadev Sharma and Patrick Mooney went deep on a load of Cubs prospects proper right here, and it’s totally value your time. Among the tidbits is a few actually helpful scouting intel on Matt Mervis, who has been raking all 12 months from High-A as much as Triple-A, however who could not mission as effectively within the massive leagues:
Mervis, 24, might be seen extra favorably from a knowledge perspective than by way of a scouting lens. Scouts see a considerably stiff physique with below-average agility, probably that means that he may very well be relegated to being a chosen hitter. They additionally query his capacity to hit elite velocity or spin, each of which have change into plentiful within the massive leagues. The information analysts love the batted-ball numbers, and whereas they see chase considerations and potential struggles in opposition to left-handed pitching, there’s the prospect for a strong-side platoon bat with plus uncooked energy and potential to affect video games along with his bat. Scouts mission him as extra of an up-and-down participant with stable pop.
- I’m #NotAScout, however you’ll be able to see while you watch Mervis that there’s a little stiffness there, which is not only a concern about his capacity to remain at first base, but in addition makes you surprise about his capacity to regulate to raised stuff and velo within the massive leagues. His swing is highly effective on a sure aircraft, however I ponder if he is received some exploitable zones as a result of it is a swing that appears designed to maximise energy solely specifically spots. So far, Mervis has not proven dramatic strikeout tendencies, however when he is persistently dealing with elevated four-seamers within the mid-90s? You surprise if that is the place the opening will emerge. That stated, it isn’t like pitching at Triple-A is totally unable to raise, and the man is placing out simply 14.3% of the time!
- Among the others who get a deep dive in The Athletic piece, righties Porter Hodge and Luis Devers, every of whom broke out at Low-A Myrtle Beach, after which have been getting even higher outcomes at High-A South Bend. Hodge’s stuff has actually exploded this 12 months – velocity and motion on secondaries – whereas Devers pitches with quite a lot of deception, regardless of not being an enormous stuff man (however the Cubs assume he might need extra filling out to do, which might enhance the stuff and velocity).
- Some love for Double-A Tennessee righty Ryan Jensen:
- Jensen, 24, was drafted within the first spherical of 2019 as a man who checked the intense stuff bins, and whom the Cubs knew they’d need to work on command and secondaries. It’s nonetheless a piece in progress, with Jensen among the many most hittable pitchers within the system when he can keep across the strike zone, however struggling to remain constant. There’s nonetheless an opportunity he winds up a fastball-slider reliever (he may very well be a real affect one), however you actually need to give him an opportunity to remain within the rotation so long as doable as a result of he had mid-rotation upside.
- Some first appears out in Arizona of current draftees, Rounds 1 by way of 4, from John Antonoff: