1. This recreation felt prefer it was the place the Boston Celtics win streak would finish. The Atlanta Hawks are a very good crew, they usually had been at house. Boston was undermanned with out each Marcus Smart and Malcolm Brogdon towards one of many higher backcourts within the NBA in Trae Young and Dejounte Murray.
But as a substitute of the streak ending, the Celtics cruised to a blowout victory. Outside of a few mini-runs, Atlanta by no means actually threatened Boston after halftime.
Eight wins in a row now for the Celtics. Eventually, they will lose one other recreation. But till it occurs, this group has to step on the ground believing they’re the perfect crew each single recreation.
2. Jaylen Brown bumped into some foul bother, in any other case his homecoming to Atlanta might need been an enormous evening. Brown acquired issues going early by attacking John Collins in transition:
On the subsequent journey, Brown went to what may be his signature shot now: the midrange pullup. If the large hangs again in drop protection, even a little bit bit, Brown is pulling up:
A little bit later within the quarter, Brown drew Collins once more. Brown tried to drive him, however Collins reduce him off. Brown stayed affected person and acquired to this good fallaway that he is taking and making commonly now:
3. Derrick White acquired the decision to run the offense with each Marcus Smart and Malcolm Brogdon out. White delivered with 10 assists, to associate with 16 factors, 5 rebounds and a block.
True to his Spurs days, White likes to play in transition. He’s all the time pushing the ball and on the lookout for even a little bit edge. Sam Hauser does a pleasant job flaring out right here, whereas Luke Kornet will get simply sufficient of the defender on the display:
This is a really delayed pick-and-roll, however the consequence is identical. White will get into the paint and stays affected person sufficient for Kornet to get inside towards Aaron Holiday for the straightforward lob:
White additionally is aware of he can assault Trae Young. On this play, Kornet by no means even actually has to set a display. White will get downhill, attracts two and leaves it for Kornet on the rim:
This play begins with an impressive block by Al Horford. From there, White picks on Young once more. White is aware of Young is not going to choose up Grant Williams on the basket reduce in transition. The result’s a straightforward layup for Williams:
4. Derrick White wasn’t the one one making performs as a passer. Jayson Tatum could not discover the vary on his shot, so he did extra playmaking than traditional.
Tatum has began to develop a pleasant chemistry with Luke Kornet within the pick-and-roll recreation. This is a pleasant setup to get Kornet the dunk:
Later within the first quarter, Tatum got here off a Kornet display and rifled a crosscourt go to Payton Pritchard for a deep three:
Tatum nonetheless scored 19 factors, however with out his jumper falling, he had a huge effect on the sport along with his passing, rebounding and protection. That’s an MVP candidate getting it carried out on each ends of the ground.
5. At numerous instances, we have bemoaned a few of Boston’s depth. Do they’ve sufficient up entrance? Do they want one other wing? Who can rating off the bench in addition to Malcolm Brogdon?
It’s solely a month into the season, however a whole lot of these questions have been answered. The bigs are all doing sufficient to get by. And Brad Stevens has given Joe Mazzulla some versatility inside his massive man group too. That’s proven up the previous few video games.
On the wing, Boston remains to be enjoying Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum a bit an excessive amount of, however Sam Hauser has locked down a rotation spot, and finally extra three-guard lineups will probably emerge. The latter is as a result of Payton Pritchard must play even when Brogdon and Marcus Smart are again.
And bench scoring remains to be going to be primarily Brogdon’s deal, however Derrick White and Payton Pritchard are each able to massive scoring nights too. And, if he is scorching, Hauser can rip off a string of triples.
The season should still present a necessity for extra depth. But, for now, the Celtics have sufficient to get by.
6. A key reply to the depth questions has been Grant Williams. He’s carried out effectively as a reserve and a starter this season. He’s poised to play an enormous half in issues, it doesn’t matter what function he is tasked with.
In this one, Williams had a stretch of three consecutive three-pointers to essentially assist Boston maintain off an Atlanta run.
This first one got here off a pretend after a drive-and-kick from Derrick White:
Off an offensive rebound, Williams once more acquired John Collins within the air, earlier than sidestepping for the triple:
A little bit later, Williams confirmed he is greater than a spot-up man. This is a pretend DHO right into a step-back. High-level stuff from Williams right here:
7. In a number of of the clips above, Luke Kornet was ending performs on the rim. He did loads of defending the rim on the opposite finish of the ground too.
On this play, Kornet picks up Trae Young on a swap. If Kornet goes to play, he has to carry his personal on performs like this. Mission completed:
This time, Kornet attracts De’Andre Hunter on a swap. He stays down on the preliminary pretend after which stays in entrance of Hunter on the drive earlier than assembly him on the rim:
15 factors, eight rebounds and 4 blocks for Kornet in 25 minutes. Outstanding evening for the backup massive man.
(*10*)8. Al Horford did a ton of the little issues to assist Boston to this win. You would suppose at this level of their respective careers that De’Andre Hunter may defend Horford off the dribble, however no:
Horford has been one of many higher passing massive males since he acquired to the NBA. This is a wonderfully timed kickout to Payton Pritchard:
When you play the appropriate approach, the ball tends to seek out you. This is an unselfish additional go from Derrick White to get Horford a nook three:
9. Payton Pritchard will get kudos from his teammates and coaches for staying prepared, even when he isn’t a part of the rotation. The again half of that equation wants to alter. Pritchard must play even when the crew is wholesome once more. He delivers a component of deep vary and taking pictures that nobody else within the backcourt can fairly match.
This was Pritchard beating the halftime buzzer with a bomb:
Pritchard can also be one of many Celtics finest off-the-dribble shooters. And he is aware of methods to use a display to get his look too. Pritchard makes use of the display from Al Horford right here, and the large is drifting simply sufficient that it is all of the area Pritchard wants:
10. Eight in a row. Now, the Celtics are headed to New Orleans for a matchup with the Pelicans. It’s unknown if Marcus Smart or Malcolm Brogdon will play, however Boston has sufficient if they do not. They’ve confirmed that.
The enjoyable half? Smart and Brogdon will likely be again, sooner reasonably than later too, in response to Joe Mazzulla, who was unbothered by the veteran guards’ accidents. The actually enjoyable half? Rob Williams’ return is looming too. He’s doing most all the pieces on the courtroom and his timeline stays unchanged. Williams is about eight weeks by the unique 8-to-12-week timeline he was given.
The actually, actually enjoyable half? Boston is 12-3 and atop the NBA standings. And that is regardless of being down some key contributors. The remainder of the league is on discover. The Celtics are all grown up now they usually’re coming for Banner 18.