By Adam Lucas
1. Workmanlike when for Carolina, doing what they needed to do with a purpose to edge previous Boston College, 72-64.
2. Armando Bacot’s double-double–which he amassed earlier than halftime–ties the college document. Bacot’s sixtieth double-double ties him with Billy Cunningham, a document that has stood for 60 years. He’s additionally only a handful of rebounds away from passing Tyler Hansbrough as the college’s all-time main rebounder, a mark that ought to fall within the subsequent recreation or two. He completed with 20 factors and 16 rebounds.
3. Carolina continues to juggle personnel. Tuesday marked the return of Pete Nance from a again damage, and he introduced his return by hitting a pair of three-pointers within the first 4 minutes. But the Tar Heels performed with out Jalen Washington, who was restricted by an ankle damage suffered throughout shootaround earlier within the day. Nance had six factors and 5 rebounds in his return.
4. That was an old-time battle within the publish between Bacot and Boston College’s Quentin Post. Post ultimately fouled out, however not earlier than he and Bacot had traded quite a few pushes and shoves. Post had 17 factors however solely 5 rebounds.
5. That was a becoming matchup for an Eagles workforce that performs extra offense contained in the three-point arc than any opponent Carolina has seen this season. Continuing their sample all through the season, BC took simply two three-point pictures within the first 20 minutes (Carolina hoisted 14). The Eagles take extra lengthy two-point jumpers than maybe any workforce in faculty basketball, however look like very well-coached by Earl Grant (the transfer to a zone late within the second half briefly flummoxed the Tar Heels). Boston College didn’t make a three-point shot within the recreation, ending 0-for-6. Per Bryan Ives, it was the primary time since Nov. 1990–a span of 1,149 games–that the Tar Heels didn’t permit a three-pointer.
6. Nance helped on the boards, particularly on the offensive finish. Bacot did his traditional heavy work on the offensive glass, grabbing 5, however Nance supplemented it with three. That helped Carolina maintain a whopping 19-3 edge in second probability factors.
7. That’s utterly true Caleb Love didn’t have his finest recreation as a Tar Heel. It’s additionally true that he made two big pictures when Boston College minimize it to a one-point recreation with underneath six minutes to play, changing a three-pointer and scoring off a free ball. That flurry shortly pushed it again to a six-point benefit. He hasn’t been capturing properly, however he is nonetheless the man who desires to take all the massive pictures. He additionally completed with 16 factors.
8. On an evening when three-point pictures had been laborious to come back by for both facet, RJ Davis was a lifesaver. The junior guard hit 4 of them on his method to 18 factors. Both total groups mixed, apart from Davis, hit six three-pointers.
9. Funny second within the area in the course of the second half, because the video board confirmed Luke Maye highlights after which confirmed Maye himself, who was on the town on a short respite from his abroad profession. The caption learn, “Luke Maye/Drake Maye’s Brother.” The digicam then panned down the aisle…the place it discovered Drake Maye, who was proven with the caption, “Drake Maye/Luke Maye’s Brother.”
10. The recreation additionally marked the debut of an in-arena mild present on the under-4:00 media timeout. The Smith Center crowd at first appeared barely confused, however total appeared to benefit from the lights happening and a high-energy timeout earlier than the sport’s closing minutes.
11. Carolina has now gained 15 of the final 16 towards Boston College. It additionally concludes the softer a part of the ACC schedule. A really troublesome stretch begins Saturday towards NC State in what needs to be a full of life ambiance on the Smith Center.
12. Don’t assume we have talked about this on this house before–remember that anytime it is your first time seeing a recreation on the Smith Center, go by Guest Services exterior of part 126 to get your certificates. Two younger Tar Heels bought theirs signed by Armando Bacot on Tuesday evening, which makes for an important reminiscence in an period the place printed tickets are laborious to come back by. Can’t assure the Bacot signature, sadly, however simply the certificates is a enjoyable memento.