The Mariners discovered Julio Rodríguez on the international market and helped develop him into one of many recreation’s greatest stars. There are additionally excessive hopes for this 12 months’s class of international prospects.
The membership on Sunday introduced that it signed seven international free brokers, headlined by shortstop Felnin Celesten, the No. 2 prospects on the highest 50 international record, for $4.7 million. It additionally agreed to a $600,000 cope with right-hander Jeter Martinez, who ranks No. 42.
The Mariners have a base signing pool of $6,366,900, they usually’re anticipated to make extra signings subsequent week.
Here is a full record of Sunday’s signings:
• In Felnin CelesteSS, Dominican Republic
• Kelvin AlcantaraOF, Dominican Republic
• Delfry CarrascoINF, Dominican Republic
• Sebastian De AndradeC, Venezuela
• Kendal MassRHP, Nicaragua
• Rudy NavarroRHP, Dominican Republic
• Kay RoblesOF, Dominican Republic
“As all the time, the primary day of the international signing interval is a joyous event that acts as an annual reminder of why we, as scouts, love what we do,” Mariners director of international scouting Frankie Thon Jr. mentioned. “To witness the second that these younger gamers, from numerous international locations and backgrounds, obtain their goals whereas taking that first step in direction of their final skilled purpose. It’s one thing that we as a employees will certainly by no means take with no consideration.”
Celesten might need the very best ceiling of any international shortstop prospect in a decade, a listing that additionally contains Marco Luciano, Wander Franco and Robert Puason.
Celesten already reveals large instruments throughout the board and has an opportunity to be a five-tool participant if he continues to develop at a standard tempo. The switch-hitter has improved in each side of this recreation as he has matured bodily prior to now 12 months, and he has an opportunity to have extra pace, arm and uncooked energy consequently. He additionally performs strong protection that may hold him at shortstop as he makes his method by the Minor Leagues.
From the left aspect, Celesten, who trains with JD Ozuna, reveals doubles energy and persistently hits line drives. From the appropriate aspect of the plate, he shows tons of bat pace with a giant loft. There’s a aptitude to his recreation.
“Getting to know Felnin as an individual has been simply as rewarding as getting to guage him as a participant,” Thon Jr. mentioned. “The aptitude, confidence, and swagger that he shows between the traces, is complemented by a soft-spoken , well mannered, and considerate disposition off the sphere. Felnin definitely has all of the components to ultimately develop into an impactful member of the Mariners group, in each sense of the phrase.”
At 6-foot-3, Martinez has a really projectable physique and tons of flexibility.
He initiatives to be a starter if he can preserve his consistency within the strike zone and enhance on his secondary pitches. For now, his fastball hovers within the 89-91 mph vary, and his velocity is predicted to extend as he matures and provides power. There is already some sink in his fastball, and he creates some deception along with his arm angle. He additionally has a excessive arm slot.
There’s some fade to Martinez’s changeup and a pointy chunk to his curveball, however each are works in progress. He already reveals good command of the strike zone and has an thought of assault hitters. He has expertise taking part in on the showcase circuit within the United States. Martinez trains with Showtime Top Velocity and is the highest participant from Mexico on this 12 months’s class.
An international participant is eligible to signal with a Major League group between Jan. 15 and Dec. 15. He should flip 16 earlier than he indicators and be 17 earlier than Sept. 1 the next 12 months — in sensible phrases, meaning gamers born between Sept. 1, 2005, and Aug. 31, 2006, will probably be eligible to signal within the upcoming signing interval. Players should be registered with Major League Baseball prematurely with the intention to be eligible to signal.
Teams are allowed to commerce international bonus pool cash beginning Jan. 15
And here is a breakdown of the remainder of Sunday’s signings, courtesy of Thon:
• Alcantara, 17, is a 6-foot, left-handed hitting outfielder out of the Dominican Republic. He is without doubt one of the greatest gap-to-gap hitters within the signing class, complimented by strong defensive abilities.
• Carrasco, 18, is a 5-foot-9 infielder who has the flexibility to play a number of positions throughout the infield. At the plate, the left-hander has an on-base pushed method.
• De Andrade, 16, is a 5-foot-9 catcher from Venezuela, who’s praised for being one of many extra aggressive hitters within the 2023 international class. He is well-known for his strong defensive instruments behind the plate.
• Mass, 17, is a 6-foot, right-handed pitcher out of Nicaragua. He is an influence pitcher, already sitting within the mid-to-low-90s along with his fastball at 17-years-old, with an opportunity for high-end velocity sooner or later. He pitches with an up-tempo aggressive supply, with a strong breaking ball serving as his greatest secondary pitch.
• Navarro, 16, is a 6-foot-1, right-handed pitcher out of the Dominican Republic. He’s athlete who at the moment depends on a strong fastball and changeup combine, whereas engaged on creating a slider.
• Robles, 18, a 6-foot-2 outfielder out of the Dominican Republic, is without doubt one of the larger athletes within the 2023 international class. He is a singular athlete with above common pace and shocking uncooked power, projecting as a centerfielder with instruments for the place.