With fall camp kicking off, here is among the vital quotes and takeaways from Day 1.
Elijah Drinkwitz | Head Coach
- “Today was actually sort of the ground of who we will change into. This first a part of coaching camp is all about somebody stepping up in these battles.” Goes on to reference the quarterback, middle, nook, linebacker, and punter place battles
- Buffalo switch middle Bence Polgar has been dominated ineligible as a result of an NCAA ruling stemming from his time with the Bulls. Polgar is collaborating in camp however can’t play in video games. The ruling was appealed by Mizzou however denied.
- “We had guys lacking the top of follow with cramps, final yr we’d have needed to sluggish issues down. Now we will simply have the following man-up as a substitute of pulling again. We have nice depth on this crew.” Went on to listing the various returning gamers that perceive the expectations and elevated expertise stage
- Connor Tollison, Drake Heismeyer, and Richard Taylor are competing at middle.
- “There are not any unhealthy groups, simply unhealthy leaders. We must have guys that take possession of each the nice and the unhealthy.”
- “As a play caller, I kinda acquired right into a bunker mentality to outlast the opposite crew final season. Sometimes it labored, typically it did not.”
- “The extra you see Dom Lovett within the slot…The extra I like it! I did not do a adequate job getting these guys extra alternatives final yr.” The starting of the quote was the beginning of a query posed by a reporter, Drinkwitz simply completed it for him
- “Ennis Rakestraw is full-go, no restrictions. It’s all about having confidence with it for him.”
- “It felt good, to have the ability to get a sweat and have my voice be hoarse, yelling at Sean Koetting for punting too far in a heat up drill (laughing). That’s the most effective a part of school soccer is being on the market.” On how good it’s to be again specializing in simply the sport itself
- “Everybody selected to be right here. My first two years, there have been guys I did not recruit, some which may’ve did not need to be right here. I really feel most comfy with this crew being in entrance of them.”
- “He’s gonna have to choose up the pace of the sport and the X and Os, however he has all of the instruments.” Good freshman quarterback Sam Horn
- “I’ve been practising a few of my dad jokes most of this summer season. Sometimes they’re good however a bit questionable.”
- “We’ll vote for captains on the center of toughness week (roughly August sixteenth).”
- “Mookie (Cooper) had the most effective summers of all people; he was proudly owning it this yr. He’s mentally in the suitable house and being constant.”
- Drinkwitz is paying explicit consideration to the punters, as guys should be extra constant.
- Freshman Ja’Marion Wayne is beginning camp testing out defensive again. He was a highschool broad receiver.
Chance Luper | Wide Receiver | senior
- “At the top of the day, it is simply soccer. Some issues could also be quicker, nevertheless it’s the identical sport you had been enjoying in highschool.” On what he hopes to show the newcomers within the WR room
- WRs at the moment are with the ‘Nasty Wide Outs’ mantra. A “fraternity” made fashionable by Ole Miss when AJ Brown and DK Metcalf had been in Oxford.
Chad Bailey | Linebacker | senior
- “He’s been main even when he is on the sideline.” Talking about Martez Manuel’s function this offseason whereas he was injured.
- “Sometimes you’re feeling such as you’ll by no means play once more, that you simply’re forgotten about. So I attempted to provide him as a lot motivation as potential.” Discussing Ennis Rakestraw’s journey again from a torn ACL, noting how Bailey tore his personal throughout his freshman yr
- “With Blaze leaving, we’ve to have somebody that may get everybody lined up and proper individuals.” On what the linebacker group has to seek out with out the previous Rice switch again there
- “Tackling was a minor situation for us final yr, so we’re actually specializing in that.” On with the ability to go stay extra in camp
- “We’re gonna cease the run and we’re gonna cease the move.” When requested about new DC Blake Baker’s scheme, Bailey considered it then gave this response with a very good snicker. Tigers have had some good media coaching.
“Film research is the easiest way to get higher.”
Side Note: Kris Abrams-Draine, Chance Luper, Luther Burden, Dominic Lovett, and Dreyden Norwood made up the group fielding punts. There’s your choices for 2022.