I’ve Cubs prospects on the mind at this time, and thus I like seeing photographs from out in Arizona, the place prospects are attending to work…
- I had Cubs outfield prospect Pete Crow-Armstrong on the thoughts yesterday once I was writing about Matt Mervis as a Rookie of the Year candidate. No, I wasn’t pondering that PCA may realistically leap from High-A to the massive leagues so shortly subsequent 12 months that he could be in competition for the award … but it surely simply kinda tugged at me, as a result of that is precisely what Michael Harris II did final 12 months with the Braves. Harris, 21, began the season at Double-A (after performing moderately effectively at High-A the earlier 12 months). He performed simply over 40 video games earlier than the Braves determined to carry him straight as much as the massive leagues to man middle discipline due to his offensive upside and excessive defensive ground. Harris, in fact, went on to rake and then win Rookie of the Year honors.
- Crow-Armstrong, who turns 21 in March, figures to open the season at Double-A Tennessee. Like Harris, he is a stud defensive middle fielder with important offensive upside. If the Cubs suffered a collection of accidents within the outfield, and if different choices weren’t able to go? I would not name a PCA emergence within the large leagues in 2023 a “life like” factor, however I’d name it “remotely conceivable.”
But if (Brennen) Davis performs effectively, all of the sudden giving large cash to Happ would appear odd. Yes, Davis may take over at middle if Bellinger had been to go away after 2023, however that is a spot Pete Crow-Armstong is anticipated to take over. With that in thoughts, a part of this prediction is that Crow-Armstrong will likely be up within the large leagues by September.
It’s a bit aggressive contemplating the left-handed middle fielder solely has one full season underneath his belt and he is but to achieve Double A. But with the brand new guidelines encouraging groups to name up their high prospects initially of the season, some have began utilizing September as a time to get these prospects — Corbin Carroll, Josh Jung and Triston Casas to call just a few — some early taking part in time whereas nonetheless holding their rookie standing intact.
- Not a prediction that PCA could be up in time to say Rookie of the Year honors, however a 2023 call-up is a reasonably daring prediction in any occasion.
- Speaking of outfielders who might or will not be prepared for the massive leagues within the second half of 2023… Alexander Canario (shoulder and ankle surgical procedures) is “not anyplace close to baseball actions but,” in response to farm director Jared Banner (Des Moines Register), however do not freak, as a result of we already knew there was no probability he could be. The excellent news is that the docs are happy with Canario’s progress up to now, which is nearly as good as we will hope for in the intervening time. You nonetheless should not count on to see Canario again on the sector till after the All-Star break, and even then, the re-adjustment (bodily and to recreation motion) could possibly be a major course of. I’m not saying we should always already plan on 2023 being a misplaced 12 months, however I do suppose people must hold expectations in critical examine, regardless of his large breakout final 12 months. Unfortunately. Injuries suck.
- The Cubs aren’t forgetting about Caleb Kilian after his critical management issues final 12 months. More from Banner from the DMR: “I simply suppose the primary focus with Caleb is simply getting his supply again to a spot the place it has been up to now the place he is commanding his pitches at an elite degree and utilizing his decrease half effectively,” Banner stated. . “I count on that coming into camp, he’ll be in an ideal place.” Kilian, 25, figures to open the season within the Iowa rotation, and since he is already on the 40-man roster, he’ll be among the many call-up choices when the Cubs have beginning wants all year long (though he could possibly be competing for these depth begins with Hayden Wesneski, Adrian Sampson, and Javier Assad, all of whom may get the primary crack if wholesome).
- Banner additionally hopped on 670 The Score not too long ago, and among the many greatest updates: shortstop Ed Howard’s hip is in a great place, he is beginning to hit within the cage, and is anticipated to be prepared for a standard Spring Training. That is AWESOME information, given how dangerous his hip damage was final 12 months.
- The highway to being a helpful large leaguer – a lot much less an influence one – continues to be fairly darn lengthy for Howard, on condition that the bat nonetheless wanted a complete lot of improvement and now there will likely be bodily questions on his lateral actions at shortstop. I feel we’ve to set that baseline understanding. But this can be a man who is simply 20, who is a superb athlete, who was exhibiting changes and enhancements from his first to second professional season, and who was challenged with a really aggressive project each of his first two years. The Cubs clearly see a complete lot within the former first rounder, so you’ll be able to nonetheless hope for the upside. But like Canario, it’s important to see the well being first and that the baseball means is not eroded in some important means by the surgical procedure/time away. A traditional Spring Training, then, is fairly large for Howard.
- A pair younger Cubs pitching prospects had plenty of success in Puerto Rico this winter:
- MLB Pipeline gives up Cade Horton, the Cubs’ 2022 first rounder, as their breakout choose within the system this 12 months. I’d in all probability go along with Daniel Palencia or Kevin Alcántara myself, if I had to decide on, however truthfully, there are about 10 guys you can make a convincing argument for as the subsequent large leap.
- Above-slot thirteenth rounder Luis Rujano getting in work at Instructs, exhibiting off a pleasant slider for a highschool prospect:
- Bryan was having some super-duper-early enjoyable with a potential Arizona Complex League positional beginning lineup for the Cubs come this summer time, which could possibly be a bunch loaded with high DSL prospects coming over (and 2022 third rounder Chris Paciolla):
- Infield prospect James Triantos getting the video remedy from the Cubs: