These are issues I take into consideration whereas the Celtics and Bruins go into the weekend with the very best information in their sports activities, and the possibly playoff-bound, always-a-hot-topic Patriots try to beat the hated New York Jets for a 14th consecutive time.
Seriously. While acknowledging that the Celtics, Bruins, and Patriots are in season, and the Sox should not, what number of occasions have we been ready to safely say that the Red Sox are the least in style crew in New England? By a large margin?
Also at the least accountable.
And simply essentially the most infuriating.
This well-worn sentiment commonly triggers a surge of loyalists, fast to remind, “Yeah, however they’ve received 4 championships … blah, blah, blah.”
Swell. bought it But how lengthy do the FSG defenders maintain on to that? When does this possession group get its toes put to the hearth for shedding payroll and producing 5 last-place finishes in 11 seasons?
There are numbers that ought to alarm the Sox. Closely guarded NESN scores point out that the Sox averaged a 3 share out there on the finish of final season. That is lower than 1 / 4 of what it was again within the Manny/Pedro/Papi Golden Days. Similarly, the most recent Channel Media & Market survey makes it clear that fans are more and more dissatisfied with the best way the Sox are being run. Sixty-one p.c of the fans polled stated the Sox had modified for the more severe, and solely 4 p.c thought issues had modified for the higher.
This house has been harpooning needy Bob Kraft and his Patriots stewardship for a very long time, however at the least Patriots fans know that the soccer proprietor cares about his crew greater than the rest. Loyal fans deserve that.
The similar can’t be stated for the ever-expanding Fenway Sports Group. Boston’s baseball crew, a cherished native establishment, has turn into a chilly parcel in a sprawling portfolio that features the Liverpool Football Club (now for sale), the Pittsburgh Penguins, Roush Racing, the Fenway Bowl, Fenway Music Hall, varied actual property ventures, and obvious new curiosity in buying an NBA franchise. The New York Post reported this week that John Henry (who additionally owns the Globe) is a “attainable bidder” for the NFL’s Washington Commanders.
Red Sox CEO/president/mouthpiece Sam Kennedy informed the Globe Wednesday, “This dialogue of lack of focus or distraction comes up once we underperform on the main league stage, and that’s one hundred pc on us … so we deserve the criticism.”
The Celtics and Bruins are on the high of their video games and the Patriots proceed to give fans nice causes to care.
Meanwhile, it feels as if Red Sox fans are being taken for granted (a hike in ticket costs after the 2022 practice wreck?) and have cause to really feel deserted.
It’s time for the Sox to take steps to enhance the crew. Watching Xander Bogaerts signal with one other crew, then claiming “he was by no means staying right here anyway” wouldn’t be begin.
▪ Quiz: Name the 4 NFL gamers with essentially the most profession receiving yards in Super Bowls (reply beneath).
▪ If holding a place with the manager committee of the NBA Players Association requires you to defend Kyrie Irving, it would be time to hand over your committee chair. Team-killer Kyrie is scheduled to return to the ground for the Nets Sunday towards Memphis.
▪ Vikings at Bills, Nov. 13, 2022, goes into the books as one of many all-time nice regular-season video games. Blowing that many probabilities to win a recreation might be executed solely by two franchises with an mixture Super Bowl document of 0-8.
▪ Not a fantastic week for Tom Brady. He was named a defendant (together with David Ortiz and other celebrities) in a class-action lawsuit involving the FTX cryptocurrency alternate collapse. A day later, the Daily Beast ran a bit titled “Tom Brady’s Charity Is Good at Giving Money — to His Own For-Profit Company.”
Then got here a Bruce Arians interview with JoeBucsFan.com by which Brady’s former coach (now a “senior adviser” with the Bucs) prompt of us cease blaming offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich for Tampa’s scoring woes. “Nobody goes to say that Brady was taking part in dangerous, however he was taking part in dangerous,” defined Arians.
▪ The good of us of Bayonne, NJ, final week devoted a statue to 83-year-old Chuck Wepner, the unique Tomato Can who famously knocked down Muhammad Ali in a 1975 championship bout. The Bayonne Bleeder impressed Sylvester Stallone’s “Rocky” franchise.
▪ In a nifty Halloween stunt, the NFL Network’s Jamie Erdahl — one other one NESN let get away — dressed up (on air) as former Globie/CBS Hall of Famer Lesley Visser.
▪ ESPN “betting analyst” Erin Dolan is 26 years previous and by no means jogs my memory of Jimmy “The Greek” Snyder or Beano Cook.
▪ WBZ-TV reporter Katrina Kincade, present Miss Massachusetts, tweeted, “Massachusetts is among the solely states that hasn’t received Miss America. I consider this because the 2nd Curse of the Bambino… Do I’ve to insert the @RedSox into all the pieces I do? Yes. Miss America is in lower than a month! Here’s to breaking the curse.”
Massachusetts is among the solely states that has not received Miss America. I consider this because the 2nd Curse of the Bambino. Did anybody put it on us? no Do I’ve to insert the @RedSox into all the pieces I do? Yes.
Miss America is in lower than a month! Here’s to breaking the curse 🤞🏽 pic.twitter.com/4ardDCkKoE
— Katrina Kincade (@KatrinaOkayNews) November 17, 2022
▪ Sad to see that the Hall of Fame’s Contemporary Baseball Era Committee didn’t embrace Dwight Evans on the eight-man poll that can be put earlier than 16 voters Dec. 4. Based on earlier veterans committee votes, Evans deserved the nod over Don Mattingly, Albert Belle, and Dale Murphy. Evans missed the election by solely 4 votes when he was final thought-about by the committee in 2019 and deserves one other shot.
▪ Walking within the bowels of the New Garden after the Celtics’ comeback victory over the Thunder Monday, I got here throughout a seated David Pastrnak, who was conducting a Celtics postgame evaluation interview with … himself. Pasta did each elements for NBC Sports Boston’s digital camera, which was arrange for a one-on-one with Celtics coach Joe Mazzulla.
“It was his concept,” stated NBC Sports Boston digital camera individual Barry Alley. “He simply picked up the mike and began doing it.”
The Celtics and Bruins are a mixed 17-1 at house.
▪ Hope Mercury Morris loved the champagne Thursday evening when the Commanders knocked off the beforehand undefeated Eagles.
▪ Going into the weekend, Holy Cross (10-0) was ranked No. 6 within the nation within the Football Championship Subdivision whereas Sacramento State (10-0) was ranked No. 2. It will make for an attention-grabbing matchup in the event that they meet within the event. In 1969, when Holy Cross’s soccer season was worn out by a hepatitis outbreak, Sacramento State devoted its season to the Crusaders.
▪ In his good “Path Lit by Lightning: The Life of Jim Thorpe,” creator David Maraniss tells a beautiful story about former Globie and bestselling creator Leigh Montville.
In 1951, when Montville was an 8-year-old boy in New Haven, he realized from a radio program that the good Thorpe was down on his luck and dwelling within the Roosevelt Hotel in New York City.
“I used to be actually bothered,” Montville informed Maraniss. “I took no matter cash I had — I guess it was $1.53 or one thing, all in change — and despatched it to the tackle.”
Montville enclosed a self-addressed, stamped envelope (fairly good for 8 years previous) and a observe asking for Thorpe’s autograph. An appreciative Thorpe despatched Montville two sheets of Roosevelt Hotel stationery. One featured his autograph: “Thanks, Pal, Jim Thorpe.”
Thorpe wrote a brief letter of appreciation on the other sheet of paper. Being 8 years previous, Montville saved the autograph and threw away the observe.
“I’m informed right now there are hardly any handwritten letters from Jim Thorpe and that it most likely would have been value some huge cash,” Montville stated this week.
▪ The Sox misplaced one in every of their nice behind-the-scenes crew gamers when former worker Debbie Matson died Monday. Matson labored for 34 years within the public relations division, overseeing press guides, yearbooks, and the fabulous “Diamond Days” e-newsletter, which tracked the whereabouts of former gamers. The Sox by no means had a extra loyal or devoted worker.
▪ Arizona loser Kari Lake is the Curt Schilling of gubernatorial candidates. Maybe she’ll do higher with the veterans committee.
▪ RIP Dick Pleasants of WGBH and WUMB public radio lore. Born in 1947 and raised in Groton, Pleasants performed within the first Groton Little League recreation throughout Tercentenary Week in 1957 with teammates Bill Shaughnessy and Peter Gammons.
▪ Quiz reply: 1: Jerry Rice (4 Super Bowls, 589 yards), Lynn Swann (4 video games, 364 yards), Rob Gronkowski (5 video games, 364), Julian Edelman (4 video games, 337).
Dan Shaughnessy is a Globe columnist. He can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @dan_shaughnessy.