I’m headed to Bears Training Camp for the primary time this morning – thanks for taking me, Luis! – and I’m fairly excited to see what it is like. I’ve been to Spring Training one million occasions, and I adore it. I do not essentially anticipate coaching camp to be fairly the identical for a wide range of causes, however I’m considering it may very well be its personal little bit of enjoyable.
Oh, however, um, if the baseball world may please not break any large trades or rumors for the following couple hours, that’d be swell.
- Marcus Stroman has been cruising since he returned from the IL with the shoulder factor, which, bear in mind, got here after him attempting to rapidly ramp up after COVID – it has been a really disrupted season for him. I say that as a result of, regardless of the early-season struggles and the COVID and the shoulder damage, Stroman’s ERA is now again underneath 4, and higher than the league common by about 4%. Not the place you need him to be over the course of a full season, however the peripherals look nearly as good or higher than they at all times have, and currently he is been getting the outcomes to match. It’s onerous for me to not conclude that he is effective. He’s at all times been effective. And the pattern dimension simply wanted to get giant sufficient to see it. I stay very glad that he will be within the 2023 rotation for the Cubs.
- Stroman additionally had huge reward for the catcher he is been working with when he is been on this heater:
- Appreciate the frank discuss from Stroman, as a result of once more, everybody is aware of what’s up. Willson Contreras is a good teammate. And an ideal catcher for Stroman, too, for these groups that attempt to discuss down his potential to catch.
- Isn’t it loopy how that is completely the one pitch David Robertson threw final night time – this one, singular nasty pitch to finish the sport:
- In all seriousness, it is not like Robertson received knocked round. He gave up a strong double. But in any other case, it was a flukey floor ball single, and a house run that was merely a deep fly out in most parks (it simply barely curled contained in the a part of the wall that angles again into the foul pole – it had a .040 hit expectation). It wasn’t all that dangerous. That stated, I’m unsure what there was to be gained by having him out there in any respect, a lot much less in a sport that had grow to be a non-save state of affairs by the point he entered.
- Robertson, who says he is ready for a potential commerce, instructed The Athletic that his rebound this 12 months was nearly being totally wholesome once more: “I simply wanted to get wholesome. I had main arm surgical procedure that I wanted to get well from. It took just a little longer than I assumed it might. I had the chance to play within the huge leagues final 12 months within the spring and simply turned down the gives. I labored onerous and received one other alternative. I received a deal that was favorable to me, and what I assumed was a fairly honest shake to rebound again into my profession. I can not thank the Cubs sufficient. I’ll proceed to play onerous whereas I’m a Cub.”
- Mychal Givens was nice once more final night time, and hasn’t allowed a run in a month and a half. During that point, he received a 29.4% Okay charge, an 8.8% BB charge, a 30.0% comfortable contact charge, and a 47.5% groundball charge. He has been dominant, and his run is wanting loads like Andrew Chafin and Ryan Tepera earlier than the deadline final 12 months.
- Wade Miley’s rehab outing at South Bend went terribly by the outcomes (2.1 innings, 6 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 1 Okay), and that in all probability does matter just a little bit within the Cubs’ efforts to commerce him by Tuesday. That stated, what issues most is how he truly is seemed to the scouts (I can not totally communicate to that), and how apparently a whole lot of the hits had been of the “he is received High-A defenders behind him” selection. We do know that Miley’s factor kinda solely works if he is received an excellent protection behind him. We’ll see what occurs. An enormous return was by no means coming, however one thing helpful/attention-grabbing? I’d nonetheless name it a perhaps.
- I perceive why David Ross apologized for the double birds, however he was having just a little enjoyable with Joc Pederson (sure, it was later confirmed to be Pederson that Ross was joking with), and it grew to become an ideal six hours of meming. No apologies vital!
- Source say Joc was giving Rossy crap for drafting two kickers…
- Nobody likes the late draft. It appeared like a good suggestion on paper at first, however in actuality, it is brutal:
- Stray minor league ideas – Loved to see DJ Herz bounce again in his second Double-A outing after the primary look was a complete throwaway. Also beloved to see Luis Devers simply hold dominating at High-A (though you do marvel at what level the dearth of strikeouts goes to catch as much as him). Oh additionally, after all Matt Mervis homered: