It goes to be virtually 60 levels immediately. In Central Ohio. In mid-January. It’s moist, however I’ll nonetheless take it.
- I like this take from Boog Sciambi on Dansby Swanson’s free company, as a result of the whole lot we have seen and heard from Swanson to date actually suggests that is true:
“Dansby Swanson – take into consideration what he did,” Sciambi stated. “It’s not like the Braves weren’t in him. He grew up in Atlanta, he performed for the hometown workforce, he received a World Series there, and he made the selection he needed to be in Chicago. I’d say that Dansby’s a man whose management qualities have grown as he has grown as a participant and as he is matured, and he fairly clearly needed to be the face of this franchise.”
- The massive contract was going to place a highlight on Swanson in any case, so his embrace of being the (or at the very least a) face of this workforce might be for the finest. You all the time hope a man does not attempt to do TOO MUCH after signing an enormous deal in a brand new metropolis (we have seen it so many instances earlier than), and I additionally hope followers haven’t got unrealistic expectations for what Swanson is. I need to see actually good protection, stable baserunning, and a slightly-above-average bat. Do these issues, whereas being a real chief in the clubhouse, and the rest is gravy.
- More on new Cubs reliever Julian Merryweather, with Lance Brozdowski additional underscoring simply how good the particular person pitches are, regardless of the outcomes not being there:
- Is Pedro Strop a singer and trumpet participant now? WELL WHY NOT!? I’m very right here for this. Trumpets to the left:
- Strop has really been doing the music factor for a short time now, however this video made the rounds just a little extra extensively than what I’d seen from him final yr. Good for you, Pedro.
- Oh, too? Strop stated at the Cubs Convention this weekend that he nonetheless needs to pitch in 2023, particularly for the Cubs. That in all probability will not occur for the 37-year-old who did not pitch in 2022 (exterior of the Dominican Winter League, that’s, the place he did pitch nicely), however I’d find it irresistible if he needed to return to Spring Training and being one thing of a player-coach. The man is simply a lot enjoyable.
- I’ve heard the Cubs could also be including one other catcher at Triple-A, which might make sense – offers you one other depth choice in addition to Dom Nuñez, and offers you some buffer for Miguel Amaya so the major focus there will be growth, with no pointless speeding if there’s an harm. It could also be the case that the Cubs would need Amaya to get an enormous league style at midseason if there have been an harm forward of him (he is on the 40-man already), however you do not need to be FORCED to do it. So, a few high quality minor league catchers is nice for many causes.
- It is completely unimaginable that The Slap must be mentioned in relation to Tommy Pham signing with the Mets, and that a part of the protection is that he solely slapped somebody on ANOTHER workforce:
- Speaking on the reliever market yesterday, I did not point out a man who’s amongst the finest right-handers out there, former Cub David Phelps … who has now retired. So he is not really out there. Best of luck to him.
- The full rundown (to date) of Chicago Cubs gamers confirmed to be on World Baseball Classic preliminary rosters:
- Japan, USA, and DR are completely loaded this yr:
- Fun back-to-back highlights from the Dominican Winter League championship, that includes a former Cub (Jeimer Candelario) and one other former Cub (Sergio Alcántara) who has since turn out to be a present Cub once more:
- Licey wound up profitable it on a walk-off:
- Among the Cubs and Cubs-connected of us who performed on Licey this yr: Sergio Alcántara, Miles Mastrobuoni, Narciso Crook, Justin Grimm, and Arodys Vizcaino.
- It’s simple to like Caruso, however I positive hope this is not really true: