For the fourth time in six years, our furnace has died. How does this hold taking place, even when the dang factor will get changed? Do we simply have the worst luck in the world? Is there some thriller ailment in our home that causes furnaces to die (of totally different points, thoughts you)? Is it simply historical past’s most particular curse? Whatever it’s, I can inform you that it sucks to occur when it is 16 levels outdoors, and you get up to see your personal breath.
Guess I ought to take a look at the Early Black Friday offers at Amazon for an area heater or 5 … (option to sneak an #advert in there, Brett … dedication … ).
- I actually appreciated listening to from new Cubs hitting coach Dustin Kelly on how he sees issues working below his management, particularly now that the Cubs have expanded to having THREE assistant hitting coaches (Tribune):
“One of the issues that we talked about early on was how will we make the most of every member of our workers that is concerned with the hitters that has a presence with these hitters and determine what they’re actually good at and then have the ability to carry that to the desk to create a gaggle that companies our hitters. Our purpose as hitting coaches is to get our gamers ready each single day with no matter they want.
“Every (hitting coach) has their very own specialty, and we’ll leverage every of these. … A Swiss Army knife is how I’ve described it to our guys. We’re one unit, one little knife, however inside that knife, there is a bunch of totally different instruments that we now have to make use of and we will pull from relying on the state of affairs…
“That’s wholesome in my thoughts to have a number of voices inside the in the batting cage that gamers really feel comfy with that perhaps my message does not get throughout to 1 specific participant, however (Washington) or another person has the capacity to place it in some phrases which are perhaps extra easy. We’re all going to test our egos at the door. That’s an enormous factor that we have talked about is there isn’t any ego right here. We’re the hitting division. We’re right here to assist gamers and no matter must get completed for that specific participant that day, we’re going to have the ability to do it as a gaggle.”
- Seems fairly logical in hindsight. Why would you anticipate only one or two coaches to be the greatest match to completely translate the rising deluge of information and video and growth instruments for younger hitters? More coaches = extra choices for locating that proper match, both for the particular person participant or for the particular person talent being coached.
- All that stated… we have completed this dance earlier than. There is barely a lot a coach or coaches or a “hitting division” can do, and you are setting your self up for disappointment when you’re anticipating THIS to be THE THING that instantly and lastly CREATES a constant high-quality offense. You want the expertise for that first. Where the teaching workers might help is extra at the margins (which, of course issues an entire lot! It’s simply not going to rework an undermanned group right into a top-tier offense).
- Speaking of needing expertise, Jon Greenberg writes about the worth to the Cubs in touchdown a star this offseason like Carlos Correa. Specifically Correa, truly. Yes, it is primarily about the baseball affect – and baseball ops is what drives these choices – however I feel we’d be naive to consider there’s ZERO enterprise consideration or worth in an enormous transfer like that. Among Greenberg’s feedback:
The Cubs, already very profitable at wringing cash out of an area and vacationer fanbase, nonetheless have to promote tickets, sponsorships and ads. Prevagen advertisements cannot … I forgot the place I used to be going there. In any occasion, the Cubs are chasing development in each path, from actual property to playing to playing actual property. And to make that work, they want stars. They want somebody to market. And they do not have that proper now. They haven’t got anybody even shut, actually…
This does not have to get to Boston-NESN “tail wagging the canine” territory (NESN executives as soon as advised Theo Epstein the TV broadcasts wanted “handsome stars”). The most essential factor is to seek out the greatest expertise, not the largest names.
But Correa, greater than any of the different shortstops on the market, has the star energy and the manufacturing to trigger a stir. And judging by the method folks speak about him in Minnesota, he is the excellent form of star for the Cubs to construct round…
No one goes out on a limb saying the big-market staff with rather a lot of cash to spend and a Báez swing-sized gap at shortstop ought to signal the greatest shortstop on the market. Maybe Hoyer, his workers and their Ivy laptop mannequin’s projections do not assume Correa is the high-end shortstop who will age the greatest over an extended deal — although he’s the youngest of them and he does not flip 29 till late in the season — but when they need to construct again the buzz at Wrigley, I say make no small plans.
- None of this implies the Cubs will land Correa, of course. Or that there will not be well-reasoned limits to the form of contract they’re keen to supply. But it *IS* to say that Correa, at this second in time, represents a fairly apparent baseball AND enterprise match for the Cubs. All the extra cause to consider the rumors, and for the Cubs to be aggressive.
- I feel it is also price noting that, for a major-market franchise, the Cubs have truly had valuable few monster contracts, and extra have been high quality than horrible. Jon Lester signing? Awesome. Yu Darvish signing? Worked out simply high quality. Alfonso Soriano signing? Nowhere close to as unhealthy as some folks declare. Jason Heyward signing? OK, yeah, that one was horrible, however at the very least flags fly without end. Doesn’t imply a Correa monster signing (or another person) would undoubtedly work out, however it’s fallacious to recommend that each nine-figure deal in Cubs historical past was a nasty transfer or one thing. It could be good enterprise and good baseball.
The place seemed like an precise snow globe:
Well that is foolish and enjoyable:
- Oh man, I’d forgotten about this:
- Yankees followers are actually searching for clues, and frankly, I respect it:
- I truly do suspect Judge and the Yankees are in very severe negotiations to attempt to finalize a deal. We’ve heard ZERO substantive rumors about Judge going anyplace else – simply notions of curiosity by the Giants or Dodgers – and I simply have a sense that the sides are working collectively to hammer it out. It would shock me if Judge winds up anyplace else, though *IF* that have been going to occur, my suspicion is that we’d hear fairly quickly that his camp and the Yankees could not finalize a deal and now he is truly going to begin taking conferences or no matter.