Frost will obtain a buyout of greater than $15 million to not coach the Cornhuskers after Saturday’s 45-42 loss to Georgia Southern dropped the previous Nebraska star to 16-31 at his alma mater. Had Nebraska waited till October to make a change, the buyout would have been lower in half in accordance with a contract modification Frost signed late final yr.
Athletic director Trev Alberts informed reporters the college owed one thing else to followers and present gamers as a proof for consuming the additional price, though there is a sturdy case to be made that no less than for followers, the roughly $8 million could be higher spent on the following employees somewhat than attempting to wring worth from a staff that is 1-2, has No. 6 Oklahoma involves city Saturday and has a backloaded Big Ten schedule.
(*3*)Two lovable underdogs simply topped college football royalty. What a blast.
It’s value remembering that virtually each AD has somebody to reply to in a college hierarchy, and the hiring and firing of one of the crucial seen and well-compensated figures on any campus will most likely require the enter from the individuals on the high of the org chart. And generally these individuals supply their enter earlier than it’s solicited.
Regardless, Nebraska is out eight figures and seems on its solution to a sixth consecutive shedding season. In an odd approach, it ought to make the Cornhuskers’ gig particularly interesting. Get the once-proud program again on monitor, and a coach is a hero. Produce extra of the identical, and there is a good likelihood these pesky buyout phrases will not stop Nebraska from giving one other unsuccessful coach a windfall to go away.
The solely energy convention staff with an extended bowl drought than Nebraska is Kansas, which hasn’t reached the postseason since 2008. The Jayhawks have been a frequent punching bag (for opponents and media alike) within the decade-plus since, and for good trigger.
So when Kansas does one thing good — and it goes past the hilarity of the Jayhawks taking down Texas, like they did final yr — it is value mentioning. Lance Leipold’s staff is off to a 2-0 begin after upending West Virginia, 55-42, in additional time and gained its Big 12 opener for the primary time since 2009.
(How does a staff win by 13 in additional time? Return an interception for a landing like Cobee Bryant did on the sport’s last play. Bryant may have sealed the victory just by taking a knee, however his exuberance is loads comprehensible).
(*3*)Inside the mysterious world of college football sport movie
Coupled with a 56-10 drubbing of Tennessee Tech of their opener, it was the primary time Kansas hung half-a-hundred on consecutive opponents since 2007, when it went 12-1 and gained the Orange Bowl.
A single sport would not assure something however does counsel progress underneath Leipold, who gained six Division III titles at Wisconsin-Whitewater after which guided Buffalo to 3 consecutive bowl berths earlier than changing the fired Les Miles in Lawrence within the spring of 2021. A victory Saturday at Houston would put Kansas midway to bowl eligibility.
The Jayhawks have loads to work on, however they legitimately look like heading in the right direction. Finally.
Five groups with essentially the most at stake
1. Texas A&M. Offseason champion Jimbo Fisher and the No. 24 Aggies are coming off a 17-14 loss at residence to Appalachian State in a sport that prompted lots of questions. Some aren’t going to get passable solutions, equivalent to why did Texas A&M pay $1.5 million to App State to return to College Station when it may have gotten a worse program for related cash. Others — equivalent to whether or not there’s any juice to the Aggies’ sluggish offense — can be posed once more if A&M loses at residence to No. 13 Miami.
(*3*)College football greatest bets: The underneath is the play in Texas A&M-Miami
2. Auburn. The dysfunction surrounding the Tigers’ program is famous within the worst of the way, and was on full show when numerous individuals tied to Auburn tried to oust coach Bryan Harsin after one season. He managed to outlive, so it seems if there may be going to be a change on the Plains, it should come the old style approach: By shedding an excessive amount of. Last week’s 24-16 defeat of San José State wasn’t overly spectacular, and a loss to No. 22 Penn State at residence would solely encourage extra behind-the-scenes shenanigans.
3. Miami. The Hurricanes (2-0) ripped Bethune-Cookman after which shook off a gradual begin to deal with Southern Mississippi, that means their journey to Texas A&M is a bellwether sport. It may need possessed extra cachet had the Aggies began 2-0, however irrespective of. This is Miami’s first massive check underneath Mario Cristobal.
the 4th BYU and 4b. Oregon. A curious sport out west would possibly simply be among the many better of the week. The No. 12 Cougars took down Baylor in two overtimes, and can attempt to decide off one other touted Power Five foe on this journey to Eugene. For no. 25 Oregon, it is an opportunity to atone for getting demolished by Georgia in its opener. A loss successfully knocks the Ducks out of the playoff chase earlier than the autumnal equinox, which is early even by Pac-12 requirements.
5. North Carolina State. The No. 16 Wolfpack survived a visit to East Carolina after which pummeled Charleston Southern prefer it was imagined to, and now quarterback Devin Leary and Co. get a go to from a Texas Tech bunch feeling good about itself after defeating Houston. Hopes have been excessive in Raleigh heading into the season, and the journey to Clemson in two weeks seems like a prove-it sport. It will not matter as a lot if NC State would not maintain serve at residence towards the Red Raiders.
A weekly take a look at the race for college football’s favourite stiff-arming statue.
1. QB Bryce Young, Alabama (408 yards, 6 TDs, 0 INTs passing; 138 yards, 1 TD speeding). Wasn’t super-efficient in a good victory over Texas, however he did drive the Crimson Tide into vary to make a late discipline objective to flee Austin with an unblemished document. (Last week: 1)
(*3*)Texas’ upset bid comes up simply quick towards No. 1 Alabama
2. QB CJ Stroud, Ohio State (574 yards, 6 TDs, 0 INTs passing). It was an as-expected Week 2 for Stroud, who threw for 351 yards and 4 touchdowns towards Arkansas State because the Buckeyes cruised. (LW: 2)
3. QB Caleb Williams, Southern California (590 yards, 6 TDs, 0 INTs passing; 72 yards speeding). The sophomore has accomplished 79.6 p.c of his passes in comfy defeats of Rice and Stanford. Pretty good. (LW: 3)
4. RB Chase Brown, Illinois (496 yards, 2 TDs speeding; 5 receptions, 25 yards, 1 TD receiving). Brown has averaged 25 carries in the course of the Illini’s 2-1 begin and leads the nation in speeding yards. His utilization coupled with being an early menace to flirt with 2,000 yards on the bottom warrants a nod at this stage. (LW: Not ranked)
5. QB Stetson Bennett IV, Georgia (668 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs passing). Posted a 300-yard day whereas accounting for 2 TDs (one speeding, one passing) towards Samford. It’s truthful to say that sport wasn’t going to make or break Bennett’s Heisman marketing campaign. (LW: 5)
6. WR Jordan Addison, Southern California (12 catches, 226 yards, 4 TDs receiving). Last yr’s Biletnikoff Award winner at Pitt, Addison has settled in properly with the Trojans and is clearly new teammate Caleb Williams’s favourite goal within the early going. (LW: NR)