When it involves signing gamers from Asia, the relaxation of the nation has a geographic drawback relative to the West Coast. That doesn’t suggest each participant out of Asia cares about the geography or makes it a decisive issue (Seiya Suzuki at present patrols proper subject for the Chicago Cubs), nevertheless it all the time looks like an uphill battle, with the Angels, Mariners, Padres, Dodgers, and Giants main the cost (…should you let the A’s out-bid you for a free agent, it is on you).
So I wasn’t significantly thrilled to be taught this morning that the Giants are very a lot in signing free agent starter, and known-Cubs goal, Kodai Senga:
The Giants not solely have that doable geographic benefit, additionally they have a transparent want and tons of cash to spend.
Who Else is in on Senga?
While the Cubs and Giants have each been very publicly related to Senga to this point this offseason, neither crew makes Jon Morosi’s listing of 5 probably events:
Per Morosi: “Angels, Dodgers, Rangers, Mariners, and Blue Jays – no less than 5 groups I’m listening to curiosity in Kodai Senga.” Morosi actually hammers the worth of being indifferent from a qualifying supply (no draft decide compensation) and posting price.
Robert Murray has his personal listing of events, and he does embrace the Cubs and Giants, alongside the Dodgers, Blue Jays, and Padres.
So, as anticipated, the West Coast groups are throughout this market (Angels, Dodgers, Mariners, Giants, and Padres are all talked about) and then there’s the subject (Cubs, Blue Jays, Rangers). I nonetheless assume the Cubs have a very good shot right here, nevertheless it’s not like you could possibly say you might be assured it is going to undoubtedly occur.
Contreras and the Astros After all?
Earlier at the moment, we mentioned the risk of the Cubs buying and selling for a catcher this winter, together with marquee names like A’s backstop Sean Murphy.
But that market may very well be held up, itself, by Willson Contreras, who’s the prime out there free agent catcher this winter.
So far, Contreras market has been gradual to develop (properly, as gradual as a market can develop while you’re not even technically a free agent but – so I suppose I imply readability about his eventual market), with actually solely the Cardinals and Tigers loosely popping up as potentialities.
Add the Astros to these unfastened connections:
This is fascinating, as a result of at the deadline, then-Astros GM James Click needed to commerce for Willson Contreras, however Dusty Baker and proprietor Jim Crane didn’t. And now James Click is gone, so… what’s modified? Fair query, good intuition, but additionally, I feel some stuff has really modified:
- For one, groups are usually extra keen to shake up their behind-the-plate association in the offseason, when there’s a little bit extra time for relationships to construct. Indeed, perhaps you assume you may really assist Contreras be taught the “Astros manner” simply effective (regardless of any perceived deficiencies in that half of his sport), however you simply did not really feel assured doing it in two months of a playoff race.
- For one other, the Astros received by with Martin Maldonado’s horrendous offensive manufacturing final 12 months, certain, however I do not assume you essentially wish to wager on that taking place once more, particularly as he is now getting into his age-36 season.
- For one other, one of the key points Dusty Baker had was that Contreras was in a stroll 12 months and would due to this fact be a little bit extra delicate to taking part in time choices. That’s not a problem anymore, both.
- Oh, and additionally they misplaced one other catcher they acquired in July, Christian Vazquez, to free company.
- Also buying Contreras now prices simply money. Not money and gamers/prospects. (Well, draft decide compensation, I suppose …. )
So, yeah, I may really see why there may be curiosity now when it wasn’t fairly there at the deadline.
Also, with Contreras set to in all probability decline the Qualifying Offer tomorrow, extra on his market may very well be coming.
Evan Longoria’s Preferences
Evan Longoria is formally a free agent. And though he is 37 years previous, he is really posted back-to-back high quality offensive seasons in 2021 (122 wRC+) and 2022 (115 wRC+) with the Giants. In addition to his management expertise and specific energy in opposition to left-handed pitching, Longoria ought to discover some curiosity this offseason. However, he could also be limiting his personal market to only three locations:
Longoria instructed reporters final month that if he didn’t return to the Giants, the solely different locations he was in taking part in have been Arizona or Tampa, the place he started his profession. He stated he has properties in each locations.
The Diamondbacks, no less than, are anticipated to reciprocate that curiosity, particularly if they will work out the way to commerce one of their left-handed hitting outfielders.
Oh hey! The Cubs may use a left-handed hitting heart fielder, and we have mentioned the Diamondbacks choices on a couple of event. As it seems, Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen had some information to share on that entrance, together with what he is seemingly looking for in any such deal:
“(Clubs) have been very aggressive on all of our left-handed hitters,” GM Mike Hazen stated. “We have had half the league, no less than, discuss our outfielders.
We’re simply beginning to get a deal with on what kind of affords we may make and what is sensible for us to assist our main league crew,” Hazen stated. “I nonetheless preserve that we’re in all probability not going to make a deal for prospects. We may use prospects to make a deal, like end a deal, nevertheless it’s not going to be our major focus.”
So quite a bit of groups have an interest (certain, perhaps, no matter) and they’re looking for large league items in return (that half I should buy).
(Brett: Right-handed energy, perhaps? What about simply immediately swapping a younger righty outfielder (Nelson Velazquez) for a lefty outfielder (and perhaps one who can play heart subject)? Just considering out loud.)
Odds and Ends:
- In case you missed it Robert Murray had his free agent predictions + contract expectations, and Brett received into all the Cubs associated bits proper right here. Among them? Pairing Carlos Correa with simply the Cubs, Twins, and Orioles. Those are beatable foes, no? Maybe that explains the odds…